Turkey black bean chili produces a mildly spicy chili. You can easily add more chili powder or some cayenne to intensify the spice level if you wish. You can also add chipotle chili powder or chipotle tabasco to give a smoky note to the chili. As for the red bell peppers, Trader Joe’s has frozen sliced bell peppers that work well for this dish.
Black Bean Turkey Chili Recipe
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 carrot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 to 3 red bell peppers, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound ground turkey (I use ground turkey thighs for more flavor)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp cider or white vinegar
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large, thick-bottomed pot (6 to 8 quart) on medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, and bell peppers, sprinkle with salt, and cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook for a minute more. Add the ground turkey and break it up with a wooden spoon. Increase the heat to medium-high. Stir and cook until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Add the chicken stock, oregano, bay leaf, vinegar, and tomato paste. Use a straight-edge spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the black beans. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook, covered for half an hour, and uncovered for another half hour, or until the liquid thickens. Remove bay leaf.
- Adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper to taste.