Make this delicious simple to prepare Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup that the whole family will love. Loaded with 4 different kinds of rice, chicken, and vegetables this recipe comes together in just 1 hour.
Ingredients for this recipe:
Creamy Chicken And Rice Soup
- 2 7-9 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 peeled medium diced carrots
- 3 medium diced stalks of celery
- 1 peeled small diced yellow onion
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 ¼ cups wild rice blend
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons corn starch whisked with3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, optional
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Serves 10 – Prep Time: 10 minutes – Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 2. Next, add the oil to a large pot over high heat and once it begins to lightly smoke add in the chicken, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- 3. Flip over, turn the heat down to low and cook for 5 minutes and then flip back for a further 5 minutes or until browned and cooked throughout.
- 4. Remove the chicken and roughly dice. Set aside.
- 5. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to the pot and sweat the vegetables over low heat for 8-10 minutes until tender.
- 6. Add the chicken back in along with the rice and chicken stock. Cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- 7. Make the cornstarch and water mixture and mix it into the soup. It will become very thick.
- 8. Finish by adding in cream, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- 9. Serve.
How to Store: It will last up to 5 days covered in the refrigerator.
How to Freeze: Cover it and keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Be sure to thaw it for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating.
How to Reheat it: Add your desired amount to a medium-size pot and heat over low heat until hot.
What if It’s too Thick: If for some reason the rice has taken over and it’s too thick, simply thin with a little bit of chicken stock.
What if It Breaks and Turns Thin: If the cream separates for some reason, bring it to a boil in a pot and stir in the same amount of slurry and mix until thick.
Make-Ahead: You can make this soup up to 2 days ahead of time.
Creamy Chicken And Rice Soup Video