Soft and gooey gluten free rocky road cookies! The most perfect double chocolate chip cookie loaded up with fluffy marshmallows and crunchy walnuts. My idea of heaven!
Wow these cookies could not be more dreamy. The taste, texture, flavor combinations, and easy prep make for the most magical dessert ever! I based this cookie off of my double chocolate cookies , which basically taste like a brownie in cookie form. They are so good- I knew I had to play around with they base in different ways!
Rocky Road is such a classic flavor (one of my fave ice cream flavors!!), so I wanted to start with this spin off first! I know you guys will absolutely love these cookies.
The base of the cookie is made from almond flour, and sweetened with coconut sugar. While I love to bake with butter, you can definitely make these with coconut oil for a dairy free option!
The rest of the ingredients are baking staples that I always have on hand! I have become so in love with baking these days- making gluten free and healthier versions of my favorite desserts that taste like the real thing is so fun! I do not settle for dry, crumbly, tasteless gluten free treats over here! They gotta taste like the real deal, or they aren’t making it to the blog 😉
If you aren’t a marshmallow person, you can skip them and just make these a double chocolate walnut cookie! Both ways are so good!
I am so excited for you guys to try these gluten and grain free rocky road cookies. They’re soft, gooey, perfectly sweet, and the most perfect cookie to dunk in a cold glass of almond or oat milk. Trust me!
Be sure to let me know if you give these a try! And a friendly reminder, I never recommend making any subs that aren’t listed in the recipe! Otherwise, you will likely end up with a completely different texture and taste! I strongly recommend keeping the recipe as written for best results! 🙂
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (sub coconut oil or vegan butter for dairy free)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 + 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dairy free if needed)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the melted butter, egg, vanilla, and coconut sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the almond flour, cocoa powder, sea salt, and baking soda. It may seem like there is not enough liquid at first, but there is! Mix the dough for a minute or so until everything is well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts, and marshmallows.
- Scoop the dough into about 16 cookies on your parchment-line baking sheet, leaving a little space between each cookie. Shape the dough into balls, then slightly flatten with your hand.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes; cookies will continue to set while cooling so be careful not to over bake! Allow to cool before serving; store leftovers on the counter in an airtight container for up to 4 days.