Hello soup season!! This gluten free tortellini soup is a new favorite, and the perfect recipe to kick off my favorite food season. It’s cozy, easy, nourishing, and so satisfying.
Made with super simple ingredients, high in protein, and can be kept vegetarian. Plus, it’s packed full of veggies per usual! I think soup is one of the best ways to add in a bunch of veggies and nourishing ingredients to your diet. You really can’t go wrong with a good bowl of soup.
My favorite way to enjoy soup is with a toasty piece of buttered sourdough bread. I have a monthly subscription for Coco Bakes gluten free sourdough. I a little pricey, but for me it’s totally worth it. Is there anything better then dipping buttery bread in a warm bowl of soup??
You can also serve this with some parmesan. Another staple addition to soup for me, because it just adds the best savory flavor to finish off the soup. Heaven!!
This soup is super easy and straight forward. It’s ready in an hour or less, and once you make it a couple times you’ll basically have it memorized.
You will need:
- Ground beef (optional and can be skipped for vegetarian)
- Frozen chopped spinach
- Veggie broth
- Crushed tomatoes
- Gluten free tortellini (or regular, if you don’t need this to be gluten free)
Plus some simple seasonings and a squeeze of lemon juice to finish it off. Like I said, SO simple. And so, so good. I know you guys are going to love this one!
Can I make this soup vegan?
If you’re looking to make this vegan, try this vegan tortellini. It isn’t gluten free, but I’ve heard great things! If you don’t need gluten free but do need dairy free, I think this would be a great option for this soup.
This is the ultimate Fall/Winter comfort food, made gluten free and much healthier then a store bought soup. It’s made with the simplest ingredients, and full of flavor. I cannot wait to hear what you guys think!
If you make this, be sure to leave a rating and comment below, and tag me on Instagram so that I can see! Enjoy! xo
- 1 lb ground beef (optional; leave out for vegetarian)
- Olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 10 oz frozen chopped baby spinach
- 8 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (17.6) carton of crushed tomatoes
- 9 oz fresh (refrigerated) gluten free tortellini
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Optional for serving:
- Sourdough bread (my favorite gluten free sourdough linked here)
- Heat a large dutch oven or large pot with a lid over medium heat, then add your ground beef. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, then remove from pot and set aside. *Skip this step and just go to step 2 for vegetarian.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to the pot, then stir in the garlic, onion, celery, and carrot. Season well with salt and pepper, pinch of red pepper flakes, and 1 tsp Italian seasoning. Allow to cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in your frozen chopped spinach, then add your crushed tomatoes, broth, and your cooked beef. Bring to a simmer, cover, and allow to simmer until veggies are soft, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove lid, then add your tortellini and cook according to package instructions (mine took 4 minutes). Turn off heat, add your fresh lemon juice, stir, taste and adjust seasonings as needed and serve. Serving tip: be sure to add a few ladles full of just broth to the bowl in addition to the rest of the soup to keep it nice and soupy for dipping bread.