Light and fluffy gluten free shortcake cupcakes! The perfect little treat for spring and summer holidays. They’re grain free, dairy free, and can be kept nut free!
These cupcakes are about to be your new fave- I promise! They’re so delicious, and SO easy to make. Seriously, the batter takes about 5 minutes to whip up.
The light and creamy cool whip topping compliments the cupcakes and fresh berries perfectly. Plus, it’s a huge bonus that you don’t actually have to make a frosting! Win win.
The cake base is made with coconut flour, butter (or coconut oil), and eggs. The batter will be a wet looking batter, but I promise they turn out like a perfect cupcake 🙂
If you’re obsessed with strawberry shortcake like, you are going to love these. You may also like the grain free strawberry shortcake from the blog! Another one of my all time favorite warmer weather desserts. Such a crowd pleaser, too! Just like these cute little cupcakes.
Please note, I have not tested these with any substitutes that are not already listed in the recipe! I recommend keeping the recipe as is for best results!
I cannot wait to see you guys recreate these! Be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see! Leaving a rating and comment below makes my day, too. You guys are the best 🙂
- 1/2 cup butter (or sub vegan butter or coconut oil), melted and cooled
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (or sub with another tsp of vanilla)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Coconut cool whip, for frosting (I use this one)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cupcake tin with 10 cupcake liners.
- In a large bow, whisk together the butter or coconut oil (make sure it is mostly cooled), eggs, honey, milk, vanilla, and almond extract until smooth. Pour in the coconut flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Use a whisk to combine, getting as many lumps out as possible (a few lumps are ok; batter will be wet!)
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners about 3/4 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcake to cool completely before frosting with cool whip and berries. Store leftover unfrosted cupcakes on the counter in an airtight container for up to 3 days; don’t add cool whip until ready to serve!