This recipe for Grilled Reuben Sandwiches has triple layers of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing stove-top grilled on rye bread.
A reuben is a sandwich you’ll often see on the menu at a really good deli. But it’s quite easy to make a it at home. A reuben is always a grilled, warm sandwich. The corned beef you use can be purchased at your local market deli, or you can use leftover corned beef from a corned beef brisket that you have made for dinner.
- rye bread
- thousand island salad dressing
- Swiss cheese
- corned beef
How to make Grilled Reuben Sandwiches:
Spread thousand island salad dressing on on side of 12 slices of bread. Top each slice with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and corned beef. Stack two together to make six 2-layer sandwiches. Then put another slice of rye bread on the top (dressing-side-down). Butter the bread on top, then invert onto a hot skillet. Butter the unbuttered top and then flip to grill the other side.
Cut each of the six grilled reuben sandwiches into 3 pieces. It will be a substantial, filling sandwich. Feel free to share or to stretch this recipe into 9 servings instead of 6.
You can even turn these into somewhat of a smaller bite to eat and plan to serve them with Irish Slaw and a slice of No Bake Baileys Chocolate Cheesecake. That would complete your Irish meal without being too heavy or overwhelming. Or make these sandwiches with Irish pub salad, and display some Irish cream bundt cake for dessert.
Grilled reuben sandwiches are a nice meal to soak up the beer being consumed during a St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Or you may choose to ditch the green beer and serve up some cocktails instead. Try an Irish mojito or a tipsy shamrock cocktail.
Grilled Reuben Sandwiches
A delicious, layered sandwich with corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing grilled on rye bread.
Keyword grilled, reuben, sandwiches,
Cook Time 8 minutes
Total Time 28 minutes
Servings 6 sandwiches
- 1 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 18 slices rye bread
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- ½ cup canned sauerkraut, drained
- 24 slices thinly sliced corned beef
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- Spread the dressing on one side of 12 slices of bread; arrange 1 slice cheese, 2 teaspoons sauerkraut, and 2 slices corned beef evenly over each slice. Stack to make six 2-layer sandwiches; top with remaining bread.
- Spread butter on outside of top slice of bread; invert sandwiches onto a hot skillet or griddle. Cook until bread is golden. Spread butter on un-grilled side of bread; carefully turn sandwiches, and cook until bread is golden and cheese is slightly melted.
- Secure sandwiches with wooden picks; cut crosswise into 3 pieces. Serve hot.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 945kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 62g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 154mg | Sodium: 2606mg | Potassium: 608mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 917IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 541mg | Iron: 5mg