The most delicious and simple lemon ricotta sourdough toast. Crunchy sourdough bread spread with bright and lemony creamy ricotta, topped with honey and black pepper for the perfect sweet and salty bite.
I made these ricotta toasts for a family dinner part recently, and the entire batch was gone in seconds. Everyone was OBSESSED- I knew I had to get it on the blog. We had it as an appetizer before serving my family’s vodka sauce recipe, chicken sausage and peppers, a big salad, and asparagus. It was the most perfect meal, and the ricotta toast was definitely my favorite part.
The lemon and olive oil mixed in with the ricotta bring out the most fresh and delicious flavor. And while you may be weirded out but the honey and black pepper combo, just trust me!! It’s the most heavenly combination of flavors. I think next time I make this I may even try it with spicy honey!? Sounds amazing to me.
The lemon ricotta mixture is made of 6 super simple ingredients, and takes about 2 minutes to mix up. It’s the fastest recipe ever!
This ricotta toast can be made both dairy free and gluten free, and you still get the most amazing results!
I have made with both regular ricotta (I always try to buy organic), as well as vegan ricotta. For dairy free, I recommend Kite Hill’s almond-based ricotta. It tastes almost identical to the regular version!
Another bonus to this recipe: if you don’t have a dinner to host but still want to try it, you can easily just whip up the simple ricotta mixture and use it for the next few days on toast! I did this when I shot this recipe for the blog, and served it with arugula and an extra drizzle of olive oil. Perfection!
If you don’t have sourdough, you can use regular toast! You just want to make sure it crisps up well int he toaster for the perfect crunchy bite. For gluten free sourdough, I always order from Coco Bakes. It’s the best gluten free bread I’ve had, hands down!
I am dying for you guys to make this! It’s seriously mind-blowing how good it tastes, and how EASY it is to make!! Be sure to tag me on Instagram if you make this so that I can see, and leave a rating and comment below! Enjoy!
- 4–6 pieces of sourdough bread (depending on size of slices)
For the lemon ricotta:
- 8 oz ricotta (whole milk regular or vegan)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened oat milk (can sub heavy cream)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper
- In a bowl, whisk together all of the lemon ricotta ingredients until smooth. Taste and add more lemon zest if desired (I usually add a little bit more).
- Toast your bread until slightly browned and toasted to your liking.
- Allow toast to mostly cool before spreading ricotta mixture on top, drizzle with honey, sprinkle with black pepper, and slice into thirds. Serve immediately, or store lemon ricotta mixture in the fridge for up to 4 days before spreading on toast.