Cheesy vegan broccoli rice with a cheese sauce made from vegetables! Nut free, gluten free, and SO delicious!
If you’re looking for some vegan (and gluten free) comfort food, then look no further! This cheesy vegan broccoli rice is the recipe you absolutely need!
100% one of our new favorite side dishes! This diary free cheesy rice is packed with flavor, bite sized broccoli for some added veggies, and it is so satisfying. Who doesn’t love the classic broccoli and cheese combo!?
This cheesy broccoli rice is about to be a new staple to go with any protein or veggies you’re serving, or as a delicious side dish to bring to a dinner or gathering. It’s a crowd pleasing, nourishing, and addicting recipe. Trust me!
This dish really combines all of the best things, in a healthy and vegan way! It’s “cheesy”, cozy, comfort food with lots of nutrients packed in. You have your broccoli as a veggie of course, but you also get some carrots and potatoes in the sauce! Plus some B vitamins and protein from the nutritional yeast in the cheese sauce, and satisfying factor of the rice. Needless to say, this side healthier dish is heaven.
It’s not only gluten free and dairy free, but it’s incredibly easy to make. You will be SHOCKED by how good this vegan cheese sauce is! It’s thick and creamy, super smooth, and full of flavor. I could basically eat it on anything. Huge bonus: you will probably have some left over to eat with chips and dip, on veggies, tacos, you name it. You can really make this cheese sauce any time you need a perfect vegan cheese!
I mean…just look at the epic cheesy sauce!! I cannot get enough of it. It really brings your average rice and veggies to the next level. I am so obsessed with this recipe!
If you love this recipe, then you should also try:
Always plenty of comforting and nourishing plant-based options on the blog! And, as always, I encourage you to make recipes your own! You can add a vegan protein to these recipes, or chicken if you aren’t vegan but want to incorporate some more plant based dishes into your diet! Have fun in the kitchen and always experiment with new things. Always do what works best fro YOU! 🙂
I cannot wait for you all to try this cheesy vegan broccoli rice. It is truly so dreamy! Let me know if you give this one a try! Enjoy! xo
For the Cheese Sauce
- 2 medium russet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (if carrots are on the smaller side, use 3)
- 1 cup unsweetened and unflavored oat milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce)*
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional, for a subtly smokey flavor)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional, for color)
- 1 + 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
For the broccoli and rice
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice (measure after cooking)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli, cut into small florets (about 10 oz)
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by making the cheese sauce. In a large pot, cover potatoes and carrots with water by 1 inch and bring to a boil. Boil for 10-12 minutes until veggies are fork tender. Remove veggies from water with a slotted spoon and blend with all other cheese sauce ingredients until super smooth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, start cooking your rice according to directions on packaging. You will need 2 cups of COOKED rice.
- While your rice is cooking, sauté your broccoli and onion in a large pan with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper on medium heat until bright and soft, about 7-9 minutes. Turn off heat.
- When the rice is cooked and your cheese sauce is made, add the rice to the broccoli and onion, then pour in some cheese sauce. Stir together to combine, adding more cheese sauce as needed. Gently heat on low if needed before serving. Leftover cheese sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.