This vegetarian cornbread stuffing is the best side dish to have at Thanksgiving! Easy to make vegan and gluten-free, this savory recipe will easily become one of your favorites.
Sharing this delicious stuffing I whipped together for my Friendsgiving 👯♀️ My first time attempting it & I LOVED how it turned out 🤤 Perfectly savory but also crunchy & nutty from the cornbread & pecans 😋 Used my cornbread recipe from last year & it was perfect 👌🏽 Definitely need to add this to your Thanksgiving menu! ✔️ Pro tip: Prep the cornbread a day or two early to save time 😉
Healthy Vegetarian Cornbread Stuffing
🔪 Prep Time: 30 minutes | 🍳Cook Time: 50 minutes
🕒Total Time: 1 hour & 15 minutes
🍴Serving Size: 6
Cornbread Deets –
- 1 1/4 cup Corn Meal (@wholefoods)
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour (@bobsredmill)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tbsp Vegan Butter, melted (@earthbalance)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (@traderjoeslist)
- 1 Pasture-Raised Egg (@vitalfarms)
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (@traderjoeslist)
- 2 tbsp Raw Honey
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (@califiafarms)
Stuffing Deets –
- 1 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth (@traderjoes)
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Pasture-Raised Egg
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 small Onions, cubed
- 2-3 small Carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeno, sliced
- 4-5 Stems Thyme, chopped
- Handful of frozen Green Beans
- Handful of chopped Pecans
How to make cornbread stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add your dry ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- In another bowl, add in your butter, vanilla and egg. Whisk together. Then mix in your yogurt and honey.
- Incorporate the wet and dry, mixing with a wooden spoon. Finally, mix in your milk until a batter forms.
- Transfer to an 8”x8” parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread evenly and bake for 15 mins.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a bowl, whisk together broth, milk, egg, salt and pepper.
- Cut your cornbread into cubes and add the pieces to the bowl. Toss carefully with a wooden spoon to coat in broth mixture. Let it sit for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, saute your onion and carrots in some olive oil for 5-6 mins. Then add in garlic, jalapeno, and thyme. Cook for 2-3 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer your soaked cornbread to an 8″x10″ baking dish. Add in your sauteed veggies, green beans, and pecans. Mix evenly and spread flat. Bake for 40 mins.
Notes & Tips:
- Keeps up to a week in the fridge!
- To save time, prep your cornbread a day or two early. Refrigerate after baking and cooling. Then use when ready for the stuffing.