A beautiful start to the day with Zucchini Fritters with Smoked Salmon and Poached Eggs, providing everything your body needs, including veggies and protein. Make this tasty dish on weekends when you have extra time to cook and enjoy eating it.
MAKES 8 LARGE FRITTERS (SERVES 4)
- 300 g (10½ oz) zucchini (courgettes), coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 large handful flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, leaves chopped
- 1 handful mint, leaves chopped
- 1 handful dill, chopped, reserving some sprigs for garnish
- 2 eggs, plus 8 eggs extra, to poach
- 40 g (1½ oz) wholemeal (whole-wheat) plain (all-purpose) or plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 50 g (1¾ oz) goat’s cheese, broken into chunks
- 50 g (1¾ oz) ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 large slices smoked salmon, to serve
Zucchini Fritters with Smoked Salmon and Poached Eggs Instructions:
Put the grated zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Mix well and leave for 30 minutes, then strain the excess liquid off and discard. Place the zucchini in a large bowl.
Add the onion, garlic, parsley, mint, dill and 2 eggs to the zucchini and mix well. Add the flour and mix to combine. Fold in the goat’s cheese and ricotta cheese without overmixing – it is nice to have big chunks in the mixture.
Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spoon ¼ cup of the mixture into the pan and cook for 2 minutes, or until golden brown, then flip and cook the other side (see note below).
Poach the 8 eggs so the yolks are still runny, or to your liking.
Serve the fritters layered with smoked salmon and topped with the poached eggs. Garnish with the dill sprigs.
If you like your fritters crispier, put them in a preheated 180°C (350°F) oven for an extra 5 minutes after frying.